Test captain remains committed

West Indies' Jason Holder during a press conference at The Ageas Bowl, Southampton, Britain, June 13, 2019.
Action Images via Reuters / Paul Childs

Test captain Jason Holder has blamed “mental fatigue” as an added reason behind his decision not to tour Bangladesh but said his commitment to West Indies cricket remained steadfast, after being criticized for opting out of the ongoing international series.

The world-rated all-rounder led West Indies on historic tours to England and New Zealand last year amid the raging COVID-19 pandemic, but was one of 10 players who opted out the Bangladesh series tour over what West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) described as “COVID related concerns or personal fears.”

However, it was Holder’s decision to feature in the Australia Big Bash last December but then decline to tour Bangladesh starting in January, which drew criticisms from some quarters.

He explained that his reason for not going to Bangladesh is obviously he had concerns over the integrity of the bubble but more so it was just mental fatigue.

“I’ve been on the road for six months, after the tour of New Zealand it was a pretty tough tour, mentally draining as well too and I was getting to the point where I was not only physically tired but mentally tired,” he told Starcom Radio’s Mason and Guest show recently.

Holder said he was not sure he could survive and cope with another bubble, that would have been seven months basically on the road.

He is currently in Antigua with Barbados Pride for the CWI’s Regional Super50 Cup tournament which bowled off this week.

More from Around NYC

>