The West Indies team will be without some big name stars when they play in the ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifiers next month.
All-rounder Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Darren Bravo and Andre Russell are not among the 14-member squad for the March 4-25 tournament in Zimbabwe.
The four senior players have all expressed their unavailability for the tournament to qualify for the World Cup.
Chairman of the selectors Courtney Browne said the players had other priorities and helping the regional side qualify for the World Cup was not among them.
However, he said that Chris Gayle, and Marlon Samuels have indicated their full support and commitment to the cause.
Browne also noted that all-rounder Dwayne Bravo had indicated his willingness to play a part of the Super50, however, he was not contacted as he had indicated previously that he is no longer available to play cricket for the West Indies.
Narine, will however, represent Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in the Regional Super50 before going to play in the Pakistan Super League.
The Windies team was however selected before the Super50 tournament, which runs from Jan. 30 to Feb. 24, because of the February 2 ICC deadline to submit squads for the qualifiers.
The West Indies have been drawn in Group A for the World Cup qualifiers, alongside Ireland, Netherlands Papua New Guinea, and the ICC World Cricket League Division 2 winners.
The team will be captained by Jason Holder, with Jason Mohammed as vice-captain. It also includes Evin Lewis, Kemar Roach, Carlos Braithwaite, Shai Hope Ashley Nurse, Marlon Samuels, Rovman Powell, Devendra Bishoo, Sheldon Cottrell and Kesrick Williams.
©2018 Community News Group