The Barbados-based Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) says Caribbean Week New York will come alive in the Big Apple in early June with a celebration of the sights, sounds, color, cuisine and culture of the Caribbean.
Organization officials said that from June 3-10, tourism industry executives, media, travel agents, consumers and students from across the Caribbean Diaspora will come together to participate in a calendar full of activities, entertainment and events designed to showcase the best of Caribbean tourism.
“Caribbean Week New York is the largest regional tourism activity in the New York area,” according to organization promotional material. “Artists, performers, celebrity chefs, investors and strategic partners join government officials and the media, as all converge on New York for a week that showcases the diversity and vibrancy of the region.”
CTO said the overall objectives of Caribbean Week New York are: to raise awareness of the Caribbean as a No. 1 vacation playground; to deliver events that attract significant positive media attention; to provide opportunities for member destinations to promote their individual products and services; and to engage the Caribbean Diaspora.
Throughout the week, key tourism and hospitality ministers and directors from around the Caribbean will convene in meetings, seminars and celebrations.
At the same time, the group said, at a Media Marketplace, “travel writers and qualified journalists will discover new products and initiatives while interacting with various Caribbean partner representatives, who will assist in communicating the allure and value of Caribbean vacations.”
A highlight of Caribbean Week will be the Rum & Rhythm Benefit and Auction — “the Ultimate Caribbean Epicurean Experience” – on Friday, June 9, which will return to the prestigious Capitale in New York City.
“The Caribbean is known for its incredible smorgasbord of culinary offerings influenced by its European, African, Indian and [peoples of] indigenous heritage,” the organization said. “During Caribbean Week, the Caribbean Celebrity Chefs will demonstrate mastery in preparing authentic Caribbean dishes at a variety of upscale and highly visible locations, such as Bloomingdales and Williams Sonoma, that support Caribbean Week and whose customers match the profile of potential Caribbean vacationers.”
Other Caribbean Week events:
• Church service will take place on Sun., June 4, 10 a.m. – noon., at St. Gabriel’s Episcopal Church, 331 Hawthorne Street, Brooklyn.
• Caribbean Diaspora Forum, Mon., June 5, 2017, 6 - 9 p.m., at Medgar Evers College Founders Auditorium, 1650 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn.
• Caribbean Tourism Industry Awards Luncheon, Thurs., June 8, noon - 2 p.m., at the Crystal Ballroom, Wyndham New Yorker, 481 Eighth Avenue, New York City.
• Caribbean Media Marketplace, Thurs. June 8, as well, from 5 - 8:30 p.m., at the Grand Ballroom, Wyndham New Yorker.
• Rum & Rhythm Benefit and Auction takes place on Fri., June 9, 6:30 - 11 p.m., at Capitale, 130 Bowery Street, New York City.
Caribbean Week ends with Caribbean Rocks Concert on Sat., Jun. 10, at 7 p.m.