Seven top Aussies pulled out of Windies tour

Australia's David Warner walks from the field after he was dismissed during play on day four of the fourth cricket test between India and Australia at the Gabba, Brisbane, Australia, Monday, Jan. 18, 2021.
Associated Press/Tertius Pickard, File
A weakened Australia squad has been selected for the limited overs tour of the West Indies next month (July), disrupting selectors’ plan for the Twenty 20 World Cup later this year.
Seven top Australian players, Pat Cummins, David Warner, Glen Maxwell, Jhye Richardson and Marcus Stonis have all opted out of the July 9-24 series scheduled for St. Lucia and Barbados while leading batsman Steve Smith has been ruled out through injury.
Chief selector Trevor Hohns said Cricket Australia was disappointed by the players’ decision and warned they were putting their T20 World Cup places in jeopardy.
Hohns said following the announcement of the 18-man squad which will be accompanied by two reserves.
The reasons for the withdrawal of the seven players were not outlined but they were all part of the Indian Premier League that was suspended last month due to a COVID-19 surge in India.

More from Around NYC