Rent increase exemptions


My uncle has a disability and the landlord recently raised his rent. He really can’t afford it now. Is there help out there for him?


Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) and the Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE) Programs offer eligible tenants. Tenants that meet all requirements can get a freeze on their rent amount. The landlord’s benefit is that they receive a NYC real estate tax credit. Below are some eligibility requirements and how to apply. Please read the application completely for more information. Landlords check back for the upcoming issue on how you can get involved.

To apply for SCRIE: download application at or call 311


1. Age 62 or older

2. Live in a rent-regulated apartment or hotel (private homes don’t qualify)

3. Annual income is no more than $29,000

4. Rent has been increased or is more than 1/3 of total household income

To apply for DRIW: Online entry visit ACCESS NYC at, to download application visit, call 311 or for assistance call The Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities at (212) 788-2830, TTY (212) 788-2838

Eligibility (see application for further required documents of proof)

More from Around NYC