Manning mulls over a comeback

Former T&T Prime Minister Patrick Manning.
Associate Press Photo / Chris Greenberg

Former Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister and former leader of the People’s National Movement (PNM) Patrick Manning plans to return for next year’s General Election.

Manning, 63, who suffered a stroke in 2012-two years after his government was defeated in the May 2010 General Election by the Kamla Persad-Bissessar-led People’s Partnership (PP) announced recently that he is watching his health as he contemplates whether he will once again seek to contest the San Fernando East constituency.

Manning said he will give a definite answer in due course after talking to new PNM leader Dr. Keith Rowley.

The former prime minister’s message was relayed by former minister of Public Utilities in his administration Abdul Hamid because he has a speech impediment and problems with walking since suffering the stroke, said he is not ruling out another five years as an MP but would not make a definite decision until in the new year.

Hamid assured that Manning could also get the job done although he was still recovering from the stroke.

However, Manning, like all other prospective candidates for the 2015 election will have to pass the PNM’s screening committee.

Manning suffered a stroke on Jan. 23, 2012, which paralyzed his right side and affected his speech.

He was on leave from Parliament in 2012 and 2013, having sought medical attention in Cuba and the USA, before returning earlier this year.

Manning is currently the longest serving parliamentarian for 43 years.

More from Around NYC

>