The Commission of Inquiry into the July 1990 attempted coup in Trinidad and Tobago will get going on Nov. 2.
Members of the commission headed by former Barbados Chief Justice Sir David Simmons were sworn in by acting President Timothy Hamel-Smith last week.
Speaking at a media conference at the Chaud Restaurant in Port of Spain after the swearing in, Sir David said the inquiry, which will begin with public hearings was not a “witch hunt” and he would be embarking on a fact-finding mission.
The chairman said the commission would make recommendations in line with its terms of reference or any evidence of crimes committed, including sophisticated crimes, such as conspiracy and other crimes like looting.
The terms of the inquiry include enquiry into:
1) The causes, nature, extent and impact of the attempted coup, including any contributing historical, social, economic, political and other factors.
2) The underlying purpose and extent of and the intention behind the plot that led to the attempted coup;
3) Any criminal acts and omissions, including looting, which were committed in connection with the attempted coup.
Sir David told reporters the aim of the inquiry was not only to find answers and prevent the reoccurrence of the July 27, 1990 attempted coup, but also to end the matter, which had remained on the minds of citizens for 22 years.