Thousands of New Yorkers will join United Way of New York City and Skanska Saturday, Oct. 5, , 2013, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Pier 1 in Brooklyn Bridge Park to celebrate their 5th annual community festival, featuring live entertainment, delicious food and family-friendly games.
This year’s event, READ NYC: A Festival for Brighter Futures, will emphasize the importance of helping our children learn and love to read with interactive alphabet games, reading circles and book giveaways. Elmo will perform along with Sesame Street’s newest character, Armando or “Mando,” and attendees can dance to music by world roots band Brown Rice Family and Son de Brooklyn, a Salsa band with a Brooklyn twist.
* Appearances by Sesame Street’s Elmo & his Puerto Rican neighbor, Mando
* Live performances from Brown Rice Family and Son de Brooklyn
* Family-friendly games and activities, face painters and arts and crafts
* Book giveaways and reading circles
* The Walking Alphabet spelling game featuring free t-shirts, prizes and photo ops
* Sports activities for youth and teens
* A chance to meet the Brooklynettes, the elite dance team for the Brooklyn Nets
* Workshops & volunteer opportunities
* Opportunities to connect with advocates in your community
United Way of New York City mobilizes communities to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers for the benefit of all. We envision caring communities where all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. Learn more at unitedwaynyc.org.