Cricket West Indies (CWI) has suspended all regional tournament for the next month as it braces for the full impact of the deadly coronavirus across the Caribbean.
In a statement over the week-end, CWI said the decision was taken on the recommendation of its Medical Advisory Committee, which was convened by teleconference last week to discuss the impact of the virus on the domestic schedule.
The CWI has suspended the last two rounds of the first-class championship, along with an entire suite of youth tournaments for the next 30 days.
Cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus have been reported in Jamaica, Trinidad, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Antigua and Guyana.
“The health and safety of our players, officials, staff are of paramount importance to CWI and we have advised the board of directors to take proactive policy steps to decrease the growing risk of contamination and spread of the virus,” said CWI’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Israel Dowlat.
The ongoing eighth round of the championship was set to wrap up last week, with one match to be completed in Antigua.
Other tournaments affected are the Women’s Super50 Cup (March 27 – April 12 in Guyana), the Under-15 Boys Championship (April 9 – 20 in Antigua) and the inaugural Under-19 Girls Championship (April 6 – 12 in Trinidad).
Dr. Donovan Bennet, chairman of the Medical Advisory Committee, said the decision to suspend the competitions was aimed at minimizing the spread of the virus.
“We are acting based on medical best practice as well as in an abundance of caution,” he said, adding, “clearly, this pandemic is still evolving and we will continue to monitor the situation throughout the Caribbean.”
All face-to-face CWI meetings, including a board of directors meeting and annual general meeting scheduled for Antigua next month, have also been suspended.